Friday, April 1, 2011

Buttermilk Biscuits & Gravy

Sure, canned biscuits are fine. But, there is just something about homemade biscuits. I found this recipe years ago and it's just perfect.

2 c. All-Purpose Flour
2 1/4 t Baking Powder
3/4 t Salt
1/4 t Baking Soda
1/3 c Shortening (I use butter-flavored.)
3/4 c Buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients and cut in shortening. You can either do this with a pastry cutter (recommended) or with your hands. I've done both and both work well; the pastry cutter is just easier. Pour in buttermilk and mix. Roll out dough. I don't use a roller; I just pound it into shape with my hands. Cut into biscuits. If you don't have a biscuit cutter, like me, just grab a glass that's about the right size. Works perfectly. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes. If you need to double the recipe (this makes about 8 biscuits), just increase the baking time to about 12 minutes.

Now, for my sausage gravy secret. I don't typically have any trouble getting enough grease out of the sausage, but with some brands, I do. The first time I did, I thought I'd try adding some butter to the sausage. I added about 2 T to 1/2 lb of sausage. Best. Thing. Ever. It adds so much flavor. I do it now regardless of how much grease I get. I also season the gravy with salt, pepper, and seasoned salt. Seasoned salt is my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment